Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, May 02, 2005

Inspired by Mondays, Week One: Neeka's MeMe Challenge


Ten Stupid Things I did as a kid........ Posted by Hello

OK, I'm trying to put a little structure in, here.....Each Monday, I'll be sharing something that I have created thanks to inspiration from my many, many friends online. This is from the regular MeMe Challenge of the awesome Tenika Morrison. And here it is....a full accounting of the Ten Stupid Things I did When I was a Kid.....would that there were only Ten.......


10. Failed to regularly wear my bottom retainer, giving me snaggly teeth despite two years in painful braces.
9. In my life's only act of vandalism, I stopped up a sink and flooded a bathroom in my Elementary School. I had no rage, I got no thrill. I just did it because I thought of doing it. Now, over 25 years later, I still have no earthly clue why I did it.
8. I didn't embrace some of the things that interested me because I didn't think it was "cool." Nobody thought I was cool anyway, I should have just done what made me happy. When I finally embraced myself and decided to be a proud GEEK, I started to really enjoy life...and ironically, people seemed to think I was cooler than they did when I tried to be cool. Go figure.
7. I thought my pink sweater was the perfect match for my red pants.
6. In choosing a program for Girl Scout Camp, I chose SPORTS CAMP because it is what my friends were doing. Me. For TWO WEEKS. IN SPORTS CAMP. I perfected the art of being last-chosen-for-the-team, and that's about it.....
5. I refused to learn any tidy organizational skills, thinking somehow that remaining messy was a victory of sorts. Great. Now I'm an adult who looks at piles of stuff and freezes when I hear "a place for everything, and everything in its place." What place for everything? Where? What do I do? I don't know where it should go! It makes my palms sweat just thinking about it.
4. I chose my college major before I had ever taken a class on the subject, and stubbornly refused to change it. Great. Now I have a degree in Economics and lots of regrets about classes not taken that would have interested me far more.
3. I believed the people who had negative things to say about me. This is also a stupid thing I do as an adult.
2. On the other hand, I had a tendency to refuse to grow when I'd hear legitimate constructive criticism. Also a stupid thing I do as an adult.

and, finally, for the number one stupid thing I did as a kid, we'll go to age 14.....
Now, this is the result of perming my hair, and then rising at 5:30 each morning for the liberal use of styling mousse, hot rollers, and curling irons. Some of us need to accept that God in his Infinite Wisdom did not intend for us to have curly hair. Take the Hint, Child.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are SO cute. Wish I had a picture that cute!!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Elaine - LOL!! I forgot about wearing ties :) You are such a great writer, I loved reading your list (and I am a blog stalker too - hee hee)

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great! I think most of us did the bad hair thing at one point or another! I know I did! LOL

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine! Saw you over on 2Peas and came over to check out your blog. Love your new words (snazztastic?)
We all have regrets as we grow older and develop some grace and confidence. I have many of the same.
But the hair girl, sheer perfection. Definitely worth all the effort!! And I had blazers in seventh grade too - I thought I was the only one! What were we- little execs? too funny.
thanks for the memories.
carol

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL at the hair angst situation! Been there too. Love your list. Love the humor:)

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the time you set the playroom rug on fire and were afraid to run upstairs and tell us? That was a good one. But, you're doing pretty well....Dad

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home