Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, May 26, 2005

American Idol Musings.

It's done. Carrie, the fresh ingenue from Oklahoma, donned a freakishly unflattering Grandma-of-the-Bride dress and accepted her crown as the newest American Idol. Now, as one who can tolerate neither Country nor Western, I was not a passenger on the Carrie Bandwagon...but I can respect the fact that of the two finalists, she was by far the best suited to the Idol Machine. And, let's face it...Bo's an acoustic kind of guy. His best performance was completely a capella. He would SO SUFFER under the agonizing over production and schmaltzy ballads of the AI routine. And that "first single" song really bit. He's free from that one, too.

The other thing that struck me during the 2 hour extravaganza was that nobody can use 2 hours to put on a 15 minute show quite like the gang at The Idol. Good heavens! We opened with a Beach Boys medley group number that made my ears bleed. Seriously. Stop with the group numbers, already. We were also subjected to the usual misty-eyed montages chronicling the AI careers of the final two. Yawn. There was a silly faux expose that revealed Simon Cowell's longtime affair with himself. The best part about this was seeing Randy try to sing and then appear in drag.

The "My Idol" montage opened a whole new can of worms. Worms like these:

**"I Believe I Can Fly" is one of the WORST SONGS EVER!!!! The next person who warbles this atrocity will be required to prove it by leaping from the top of the nearest tall building.

**Some of the "early out" young ladies definitely have an onstage career ahead of them....sadly, that stage features a shiny brass pole....

**Babyface must have done something very, very bad to someone very, very important somewhere along the line. Did you catch the visible wince when the Idolettes butchered one of their notes?


Anyhoo, that is the end of the TV season for me. As I have not other life to speak of, I am at a loss as to what to do with myself for the net few months. Sigh.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny, Elaine!!!

Steph

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always you can make me laugh... even on a bad day.

May {AJT}

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be writing for the Television without Pity website! LOL, I'm with you on the whole Bo/Carrie thing. I can bet I'll be purchasing a Bo CD before anything that Carrie puts out. I bet Bo's CD comes out before hers anyway!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Thena said...

You are too funny but I really like Carrie....she seems like such a sweet girl....It's the mothering thing in me.....but I dread seeing what AI does to her.....after seeing the "new hot Kelly" on the morning show..........

1:56 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I woulda been happy either way. I am pretty sure I'll be buying both records! :)

The best part of the show was Carrie singing with Rascal Flatts

Oh and BTW I'm not a fan of country either LOL! But I love that poppish country

1:56 PM  
Blogger T. said...

Just too funny! Loved the play by play I found at the pub this morning too. :D

2:18 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

You crack me up - and I agree you should write for Television with Pity :) I hate that song too and would love to see someone try it - ha ha.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes - you had my sentiments exactly. I too had originally been pulling for BO to win but I got to thinking if I were Bo I would pay people NOT to vote for me to win because I would not want to be at the creative mercies of those AI people. Too bad he can't get out of the idol tour and do his own thing just yet. BO I think will be the bigger winner in this - look what happened with clay - who remembers Ruben or has really heard from him at all? Too funny with your commentary on the show - I did find it quite painful!

5:27 PM  
Blogger karen said...

"shiny brass pole"!!! Ha! Great summery. ITA!

Karen

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! Although I did like Carrie's dress! The rest I can really believe in. Except for Carrie singing with Rascal Flats, the rest of the idols "idols" sucked. Even Bo (who I love) sang his little heart out with his "idol" Skinnard, who all looked like they were on some kind of acid trip and wondering how in the H&*# they had come so far as to be on AI!
Not to mention that all season we hear Simon make fun of cruise singing and yet they make them perform a song which, in turn, makes them look like Karoke Cruise singers!

Bo is probably lucky he did not win!

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so hoping i'll be able to buy a bo: unplugged album soon. and that nadia finds herself a cool indie rock label. i'd be a happy woman if that happened...

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, i SO TOTALLY AGREE!!!!! no one could have said it better!! ROFL!!

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home