Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, May 23, 2005

Inspired by Monday: Another Meme from Neeka...

As if I could resist this one: Post your top Ten fave '80's tunes.....Good heavens! How can I pick just ten? Now, dedicated readers have already seen the atrocity that is my 1983 self in the "Mistakes I made as a Kid" meme, so I won't be going there again....but, here are some killer musical options for your "Rad" listening pleasure....

10. Planet Earth -- Duran Duran (My first concert!)
9. Take on Me -- aha (I love aha. I have 4 aha albums. Wanna make something of it?)
8. Synchronicity II -- The Police (Suburban dysfunction meets the Loch Ness Monster. What's not to like?)
7. Solsbury Hill -- Peter Gabriel (Scratch and Melt are two of the best. albums. ever.)
6. Big Country -- Big Country (What was the name of that song by that band?)
5. Head over Heels -- Tears for Fears (Whatever happened to them? They were very cool, despite their odd mullets)
4. Institutionalized -- Suicidal Tendencies (Love that teen angst!)
3. The Perfect Girl -- The Cure (Such a straaaaaaaaaaange girl....)
2. 40 -- U2 (I love playing the "find the obscure Biblical reference" with U2 songs)
1. I Ran -- Flock of Seagulls (A fun song, yes, but it is the most ultimately perfect encapsulated moment of early video music history....The hair....the weird robot women....the basement-wrapped-in-old-sheets.....the one finger keyboard solo....it's a masterpiece........)


Oh, man. I can't keep it to ten. How could these gems miss the cut?

I Believe -- REM
Add It Up -- The Violent Femmes
Come on, Eileen -- Dexy's Midnight Runners
New Song -- Howard Jones
True Faith -- New Order
Oh, Yeah -- Yello
Don't Go -- Yaz
Alive and Kicking -- Simple Minds
Fight for the Right -- Beastie Boys
Senses Working Overtime -- XTC


So there you have it, two lists of ten.....Because, in the 80's, Less was most definitely NOT more. More was more. And then some.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful... but would you burn that for me?

You like A-Ha! OMG, I was so, so, so deeply into A-Ha. I've never met another American who even knew they had a second album, let alone a fourth. Even I didn't have the 4th one. They were my first concert, and my first deep celebrity crush. I stalked Morten Harket in London to find his house. I dined at the Blue Sky Diner. You are truly a sister of my heart.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to Tears for Fears? Well, my dear, this: http://www.tearsforfears.net/site.html
Sorry, don't know how to make that a link. Curt and Roland reunited and put out an album last summer, and are in the middle of a concert tour in Europe. I saw them in concert in November--it was awesome to see them perform together again! (They split in 1990 or so and Roland kept the name, put out a couple albums and toured by himself). Check it out!

Heidi

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL about more is more!!

(Username: monkey Password: wagon )

6:59 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Great list!! I forgot about some of those songs :)

Seems like I was more of a head banger than you - LOL.

Sue

12:46 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

Great songs! I loved Tears for Fears!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

A-ha is on my list, if I ever get it posted! Bwahahaha! I loved their second single "The Sun Always Shines on TV". So, what are they up to, Elaine?

I heard Tears For Fears on our local radio station last year, their song was pleasant.

But, of course, not as pleasant as the new Duran Duran, baby!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Kate Thaete said...

oh, so MANY of my favorites!! i too like to play "find the obscure Biblical reference" with U2 songs!!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home